Lavenham, Suffolk Countryside
- £541 per week
- £77 per night
- 3 Guests
- 2 Bedrooms
- 1 Bathroom
- No Pets
Beds & bedrooms
- Bed linen provided
- 1 double bed
- 1 single bed
- Washing machine
- Towels provided
- Family friendly
- Travel cot
- Garden or courtyard
- Enclosed garden or courtyard
How far to ...?
- Pub 0.1 miles
- Shop 0.1 miles
Important - please note
- Check in: 16:00
- Check out: 10:00
A delightful holiday cottage in the heart of Lavenham, Suffolk. The perfect property from which to explore Lavenham, one of the best preserved wool towns in west Suffolk, as well as the delights of the area, its wool towns and fine countryside.
LONG MELFORD 5 miles (8.5 km), BURY ST EDMUNDS 12 miles (19 km), CAMBRIDGE 39 miles (63 km), ALDEBURGH and the SUFFOLK COAST around 40 miles
About the Property: Pilgrims is a delightful Lavenham Cottage and ideal for holidays. Pilgrims has been newly refurbished and refitted to provide excellent self-catering accommodation. One of the many delightful traditional cottages in this gem of a town, Pilgrims is surprisingly spacious for 3 people with a large L-shaped kitchen, comfortable sitting room and pretty garden.
Exploring: Lavenham is the most complete and original of the medieval wool towns, with crooked timbered and whitewashed buildings lining its narrow streets. Lavenham flourished in the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries as one of the leading wool and cloth-making centres in the land. To our great fortune, little has changed and the medieval street pattern still exists with over 300 buildings officially listed as being of architectural and historical interest, including the famous Guildhall, a superb 16th century timbered building, originally the meeting place of the Guild of Corpus Christi. Almost as remarkable is Little Hall, a 15th century hall house.
These wonderful historic buildings have more recently taken on a new role when parts of Lavenham were transformed to create the magical village of 'Godric's Hollow' for the filming of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. As you step out of the front door of Pilgrims, fans of Harry Potter may find themselves wandering past the home of a number of notable wizarding families including the house where Harry Potter's parents lived when he was a baby. In fact, right opposite Pilgrims is the house which was used for much of the filming, with magnificent views from the front windows!
Lavenham makes a wonderful centre from which to explore surrounding historic towns including Long Melford and Bury St Edmunds, and of course no visit to Suffolk would be complete without a visit to the beautiful heritage coast at Aldeburgh, Southwold and Orford.
Eating and Drinking out: There are a number of excellent restaurants, cafes and pubs in Lavenham in which to dine including the Great House for a great Sunday lunch or special evening meal and a wine bar, Number 10, which is just round the corner from Pilgrims.
Self Catering: Most big name supermarkets will deliver to Lavenham, however, there are a handful of local food shops within a short drive of Pilgrims. Wheldons Farm Shop, Sudbury is just 14 minutes drive from Lavenham, stocking a range of local fruit and vegetables. Closer still is Hollow Trees Farm Shop selling traditional farm produce. Children will love walking around the farm itself - a great day trip.
For more information on the area, please see Visit Lavenham, our online guide.
- Entrance into sitting room with two sofas, coffee table, tv/dvd, coal effect electric fire and CD player
- Through to large fitted kitchen with dining area. Kitchen is equipped with dishwasher, washing machine, fridge with freezer compartment, electric cooker, hob, microwave and table with 4 chairs. A stable door leads to cottage garden
- Cottage staircase with hand rail to bedrooms and bathroom
- Spacious double bedroom with bedside tables and lamps, armchair, chest of drawers, walk-in cupboard with hanging space and mirror and views of the magnificent 13th century priory
- Single bedroom with bedside table and lamp, washbasin and sitting area with views over the garden, chest of drawers and hanging space
- Bathroom with bath, shower screen and shower over the bath, w.c., wash basin and heated towel rail
- Gas fired central heating and hot water
- Garden with garden furniture
- Bedlinen and towels provided (not beach towels). If using the travel cot, please provide your own bedding for it.
- Guests are asked not to smoke anywhere on the property please
- The Greyhound, Lavenham - 01787 247475. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice - so please do check the status if this is a criteria for your choice of property
- An unlimited broadband / wi fi service is provided. Internet reception can be patchy and the connection provided should NOT be relied on for work use and is unsuitable for games or downloading of films.
- Delightful cottage garden with 2 seating areas, table and chairs, and winding path to end of garden
- Parking: On street parking
Overall, the cottage was pleasant and mainly clean and well presented. However, I do have a couple of suggestions. The paint work on the back door is dirty and could easily be cleaned. There is no Guest Book in which visitors can leave comments. A rather scrappy piece of paper which had some rough writing which emphasised weekly rubbish collections did not feel welcoming. Finally, the stairs are very steep and would be difficult for anyone with mobility issues. This needs to be mentioned in the details about the cottage on your web site.
Perfect cottage for our stay in Lavenham. It was fully equipped and usual provisions were included too (dishwasher tablets, toilet paper, cleaning materials) as well as a welcome pack of goodies. Very comfortable. Easy to park. Great location.
Well situated with great restaurants on the doorstep. Lavenham is an amazing place. Enjoyed the local tour on Wednesday