DescriptionAre you wanting a rural retreat within a short distance of the Suffolk coast? Look no further than The Homestead. There is plenty to explore even from the doorstep! Perfect for birdwatching, walking and cycling, the opportunities are endless. Within easy access of Southwold (10 minute drive), Minsmere, Dunwich and much more, come and experience for yourself.
SOUTHWOLD 5 miles (8 km), COVEHITHE 4 miles (6 km), DUNWICH 9 miles (14 km), ALDEBURGH 22 miles (35 km)
About the Property: A more charming rural setting would be hard to find. The Homestead is approached by a quiet narrow country lane, weaving you through woodland and open fields before entering into the tiny hamlet of Clay Common. Hear nothing but the wind blowing through the trees and birdsong as you open the windows each morning. Completely private, The Homestead enjoys a large garden with plenty of off street parking.
So perfect for dog owners, The Homestead looks forward to welcoming up to two dogs on holiday to Suffolk. The lawned garden is fully enclosed for larger dogs (of a Doberman size), however, owners of smaller dogs are advised to keep an eye on their wandering pooches. There are a number of footpath connections within a short distance of the front door - take the small gate around the side of the house and turn right into the surrounding woodland - do take your camera and binoculars with you as there is plenty to see.
Cyclists too will love exploring the network of trails in the area - one in particular which runs outside the property, leads to the Hundred River at Rushmere. A trip along the back roads can even take you to the small town of Halesworth. A full breakdown of cycle routes can be seen here.
If you would prefer to hire bicycles rather than bring your own, speak to Surfwold in nearby Southwold.
Parking: There is off street parking for at least two cars.
Exploring: The Homestead is within easy access of the A12, meaning there is plenty to explore by car. Just 10 minutes from Southwold with its' pier, sandy beach, quirky shops, lighthouse and welcoming pubs. A further 22 minute drive will take you to RSPB Minsmere, recent home to BBC's Springwatch. The National Trust site at Dunwich is also worth a visit, an area well known for its walking, bird watching and cycling.
Only ten miles from Lowestoft and twenty miles from Great Yarmouth to the North, this cottage is superbly located just a couple miles from the Heritage Coast at Covehithe and Benacre Broad- there is something here for everyone.
Self-Catering Eating and Drinking: The Wangford Village Shop is a short drive or cycle from the cottage and ideal for fresh bread and the daily paper as well as supplying a good selection of locally grown produce. Wrentham, around two miles away from the Cottage, do a great Fish and Chips take away and is ideal to take home with you after a tiring day in Southwold
Of course, a trip to Adnams Cellar and Kitchen in Southwold is a must, renowned for its famous beers and wines. Brewery tours are also available.
For more information on local produce shops near The Homestead, check out Visit Southwold.
Eating Out: A fifteen minute walk (or 5 minute drive) takes you to The Plough Inn, a really pleasant and friendly pub run by Adnams.
There is a plethora of Adnams pubs in Southwold, with some of the best including The Lord Nelson, The Red Lion, Sole Bay Inn and The Crown. All within a 10 minute drive away.
Of course, for a more relaxed affair, try The Boardwalk Restaurant on Southwold Pier. Time it right and you could see the sun setting behind the sea...
For more information on eateries, things to do and local history, please go to Visit Southwold.
- Spacious hall with large walk in cupboards, hanging hooks for storing coats, a chest of drawers with cupboard space and occasional chair.
- Sitting room with two sofas, arm chairs, coffee table, bookshelves, t.v. and video, radio/CD player, open feature fireplace. A selection of general interest books are provided.
- Fully fitted kitchen with electric oven, ceramic hob, microwave, washing machine, tumble dryer and storage space. A step down leads into the Breakfast Room with dining table and chairs for 6, large walk in cupboard and fridge/freezer.
- Master Bedroom with double bed, bedside drawer units and lamps, occasional chair and chest of drawers. There are hooks on two of the doors, there is additional hanging space in the hall cupboards. Views out of the garden. A door leads to the En suite bathroom with shower unit (small step up), heated towel rail, w.c., hand basin with storage above and below.
- Bathroom with bath, shower, wash basin, heated towel rail and wall mounted bathroom cupboard.
- Cloakroom with w.c. and handbasin
- Walk in cupboard containing a hoover, iron, ironing board and highchair.
- A door from the hallway leads to the first floor. An easy staircase (11 stairs) bends round to the right. There is a small landing with chest of drawers.
- Twin/King bedrooms with beds that can be zipped to make a king size. Please specify which you would like at time of booking. Bedside tables and lamps, chest of drawers, 2 occasional chairs, double wardrobe with hanging and drawer space. Views out over the garden below.
- A large private well maintained garden with delightful rural outlook, with plenty of room for football, tennis and other outdoor games. A small sun terrace makes an ideal place for al fresco dining, a outdoor table and 4 chairs are provided.
- There are plenty of walks in the surrounding fields - simply follow the path around the house, exit out of the small gate and turn immediately right into the woodland. Dog walkers are welcome to walk their dogs here, but are advised to keep them on a lead in respect of the local farmers. A further 15 minute walk (or 5 minute drive) will bring you to the popular Plough Inn at Wangford, run by Adnams.
- The Homestead is on a main cycle route (number 31) which can lead you to the Hundred River at Rushmere.
- Central heating throughout.
- Heating, electricity, linen towels included. If using the travel cot please provide your own bed linen for it.
- Off road parking for at least 2 cars
- In consideration of other visitors, please do not smoke indoors
- The Plough Inn, tel. 01502 578239. Please note some rural pubs have closed down in recent months with little or no notice, so please do check the status if this is a criterion for your choice of property
- An unlimited wifi connection is provided. Like the county, this can be slow so please do not rely on it for work purposes or downloading films.
- Sleeps 4
- 2 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- 2 Pets welcome
- WiFi available
- Open fire/woodburner
- Private parking
- Bed linen provided
- Towels provided
- 0.7 mile to a pub
- 1.3 miles to a shop
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
- Travel cot available
- No smoking
A quiet 'home' and a pleasure to come back to after a day at the beach. Washing machine a bonus, Wangford Spa a life saver.Darrell Family - 26th July 2016
A lovely stay in a beautiful part of the country. Thoroughly good cycling, great beaches and interesting places to visit. The Homestead is a real home from home.Vincent Family - 28th August 2015
We've hand-picked a selection of Holiday Extras from trusted partners to make your holiday extra special. When you make your booking, you'll see all the Extras on offer at your chosen property and be able to add them to your holiday. Booking them in advance gives you more time to relax when you arrive, and remember - many of these offers are exclusive so you won’t find them anywhere else.
Spicers of Hythe Ltd 20% discount on Hampers of Distinction
A hamper of distinction from Spicers of Hythe adds a little luxury to any occasion. We offer 20% off a beautifully presented hamper of gourmet delights.
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This classic case oozes class and is perfect to give you various flavours from across the globe! Enjoy 2 bottles of each wine to encourage sharing or indulgence...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 12 Bottle Luxury Wine Selection
This 12 bottle case is packed full of wines to blow you away with flavours and complexities all round – a case guaranteed to impress all who get the pleas...
- Normal price
Sponge 15% off Sponge Cakes
Want to celebrate during your holiday? 15% discount on award winning handmade sponge cakes delivered to your holiday cottage.
Dragonfly Tea 20% off Dragonfly Tea
There’s nothing better than relaxing with a delicious cup of tea on your holiday, so we’re offering you 20% off Dragonfly Tea’s wonderful range.
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Celebratory Wine Selection
A true Prosecco lovers case! No excuse is needed for this beautiful selection (so don’t let others tell you any different!). Start with the wonderful flor...
- Normal price
Virgin Wines 6 Bottle Classic Wine Selection
This 6 bottle classic case is perfect for those wanting to try something of everything – carefully selected to incorporate crowd pleasers from across the ...
- Normal price
Europcar Car Hire
Europcar, our preferred car hire partner, are offering you great quality UK car hire at affordable prices. With our dedicated offer you will save up to 20%.
Dineindulge Private Chef Service by Dineindulge
Would you be interested in having a private chef cater for you during your stay from as little as £25 per head?